What Does Marketing Mean To You?

Most people who start their own business have dreams of earning 6-figures a year or even 1 million dollars a year. But we all know that the statistics says a lot about these newbie business owners. The fact of the matter is that 95% of all new businesses will fail within their 1st year. That leaves only 5% of the successful bunch, and I’m sure that they are using non-conventional strategies to make money in their business.

So what are your hopes and dreams for your business? Are you looking to earn a nice salary of around $50,000 per year or more? Honestly, I think $50,000 a year is a good income to live on. But to make this salary, you have to think outside the box, and radically change your way of thinking about “marketing”.

What does marketing mean to you? Well to me, marketing is the promotion of a product or service in order to acquire a new customer or client. Marketing is NOT the promotion of your business name or slogan in order to get public awareness about what your company name is. Do you see the difference between the 2?

You see most business owners who run ads designed to get someone to call or go online, are a lot more effective than brand advertising. People don’t care about who you are or what your business name is. The only thing that they want to know is how you can help them solve their problems.

The products that you’re selling exist for a reason, and it’s this reason that you should be going after. Structure all of your ads talking about the most pressing problem of your prospects, and you will get a lot more response than an ad that only talks about you. You have to make the transition from brand advertising, to direct response marketing.

Now if you’re like most business owners, then you probably have no idea of what direct response marketing is. Direct response is the practice of generating a response now. There’s no waiting for next month to see results or “getting your name out there”. The minute your ad runs it should be pulling in leads for you immediately. This is the only kind of marketing that I do, and I suggest that you do the same thing in your business also.

If you want to make around $50,000 this year, then you will have to put direct response marketing into play. A clear example of direct response marketing is including a call to action at the beginning of your ad.

For example, instead of promoting your mission statement, tell your prospects what they need to do to get in contact with you. For example, consider writing something like, “Call 1-800-000-000 now to get your free DVD mailed out to you today!” This tells your prospect what to do, and what they can expect to receive by responding to your ad.

The bottom line is that you need response, and the only way to get response is if you offer a phone number or a website address for them to respond to. Don’t do brand advertising. Instead, leave that to the huge companies who have millions of dollars to spend on advertising.

Take these tips to heart and use them to propel your business today.

Good luck with marketing your business.

Comments are closed.